You may be surprised to read my first project for the new year was not a diary cover. Instead, I made a decoration to pop inside a heart shaped wreath. The wreath stays up all year round and I simply switch the decoration inside depending on the season. The green tin heart decoration I’d hung inside it for I can’t remember how long needed replacing.
Whatever I made had to be green plus colour. The green check and felts worked perfectly.
I have to say it was fun and interesting to see how the colours worked together.
It was a lovely start to the new year!
I'd been mulling over ideas for my diary cover (I start in December). Sometimes an idea is crystal clear and other times they’re murky and jumbled together, like this year.
Making the heart decoration helped me focus.
I decided to needle turn appliqué the bird and stitch the flowers and if I liked it maybe use it on the cover.
I did, but continued to go around in circles thinking about the fabrics, should I or shouldn’t I turn the heart shape into a pen pocket (the one on last years cover was so handy) and would adding buttons and ric rac be too much.
So I was very pleased (and relieved) when I finally finished it.
I won't be releasing either of these projects just yet.
I need to play with them a little more.