Towards the end of last year I got a little carried away and made a red scrappy quilt and then had to make it again in blue. The thing I loved about making it was how simple the cutting and piecing was after Sarah's Sampler (1855).
I was ecstatic when Brownyn saw the quilt and said it reminded her of berries, hence the name Summer Berries. It saved me an afternoon of agonising over a name.
The red version is featured on the pattern cover, but I will be popping a picture of the blue one inside the pattern. The pattern costs $16 plus postage & handling and is available here:- Summer Berries
Summer Berries is a scrap quilt and requires a large variety of fabrics. I've put together a starter pack that you can add to. The pack contains the pattern and 20 Fat 1/16’s - a Fat 1/6 is approx. 10 inches square. This is roughly one quarter of the top requirements.
There can be days, even weeks when my sewing machine is hardly used, but it has been whirring along at a steady pace this past week. I've enjoyed the simple piecing and how quickly one block becomes two. The cutting and selecting fabric combinations for the blocks took the most time.
The red top is finished. The thought of the blue one kept me going, though I did make one concession, its size. Bigger would have been nice but I was so keen to start the blue I was happy to compromise, after all I can always make the next one larger.
I had to force myself to tidy away the reds before dragging out the blues.
What I needed for the blue quilt were light backgrounds and while looking for them came across more red fabrics. Okay, this is ridiculous is what I thought.
I'd been toying with the idea of piecing the backing and this discovery forced the decision. There was one rule, I had to use the whole piece. I didn't want left overs since this creates a fresh dilemma - what to do with these bits. Each piece was trimmed of any selvages and loose threads and pieced together, a bit like a puzzle.
There were three lovely conversation prints I'd been saving for that 'special' project. Where I'd procrastinated in the past about what to do with them they were the first ones I chose. No longer hidden away in the cupboard, they can now be viewed and enjoyed as whole pieces.
It did take longer than I thought - why should that surprise me - but I'm very excited these fabrics are no longer hidden away.
You can never have too many red fabrics and variety is what you need when making scrap quilts. The fabrics used in Sarah's Sampler (1855) have been collected over a number of years. A bundle of Fat ⅛’s is a good way to start a collection or add to it.
What is a Fat ⅛?
It's 25cm x ½ the width of the fabric (approx. 55 cm wide)
A bundle of 10 Fat ⅛’s is now available through my online store for $25.00 plus P&H
Towards the end of last year I went a little yo-yo crazy and made lots. I did have a plan but moved onto something else and the yo-yos sat in the bottom of a basket under the next project! They weren't entirely forgotten and will be perfect in the new project I dreamt up.
So with yo-yos in abundance I needed something else to work on at Friday sewing. This stitchery has been drawn for ages and was waiting for the right moment.
I love stitching on hanky linen with the Aurifil Thread.
Now to get them finished, write the instructions and photograph them for the book which is planned for release at the AQC in April.