There can be days, even weeks when my sewing machine is hardly used, but it has been whirring along at a steady pace this past week. I've enjoyed the simple piecing and how quickly one block becomes two. The cutting and selecting fabric combinations for the blocks took the most time.
The red top is finished. The thought of the blue one kept me going, though I did make one concession, its size. Bigger would have been nice but I was so keen to start the blue I was happy to compromise, after all I can always make the next one larger.
I had to force myself to tidy away the reds before dragging out the blues.
What I needed for the blue quilt were light backgrounds and while looking for them came across more red fabrics. Okay, this is ridiculous is what I thought.
I'd been toying with the idea of piecing the backing and this discovery forced the decision. There was one rule, I had to use the whole piece. I didn't want left overs since this creates a fresh dilemma - what to do with these bits. Each piece was trimmed of any selvages and loose threads and pieced together, a bit like a puzzle.
There were three lovely conversation prints I'd been saving for that 'special' project. Where I'd procrastinated in the past about what to do with them they were the first ones I chose. No longer hidden away in the cupboard, they can now be viewed and enjoyed as whole pieces.
It did take longer than I thought - why should that surprise me - but I'm very excited these fabrics are no longer hidden away.